Receiver Choices/PCM fail safe

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Mon Sep 30 21:14:23 AKDT 2002

--On Monday, September 30, 2002 11:49 PM -0500 Keith Black <tkeithb at attbi.com> wrote:

> ... What got a lot of this talk going is the situation where a plane went into
> failsafe mode and flew quite a distance and hit and killed a young child
> (this is what I heard, don't know if it's true).  ...

That's the story of the 11-year-old boy killed in Britain.
He was standing next to his father at the flight line.
Someone was tuning an engine next to them.  An
excellent pilot lost control, the boy and his father
didn't hear people shouting warnings, and the plane
struck him in the head.

The plane flew for approximately 20 seconds in
failsafe mode.

In the final analysis, what caused the plane to go
out of control and stay out of control was someone else
turning on a transmitter on the same channel.

Story here:
<http://www.bmfa.org/news/bulletins/bull1_99.html>

Recommendation to put throttle to idle in
failsafe mode:

<http://www.bmfa.org/news/bulletins/bull2_99.html>

						Marty
						Marty #2874