The MASTERS 2005 PROPOSED ROUTINE THAT YOU VOTED FOR.

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Fri Sep 27 06:25:15 AKDT 2002

RE:  "I'm the big loser of course"

As outlined by Eric in his proposal, the paper copies of the K-Factor will
still be available to those that like or prefer that.

However, the issue is bigger than the question if we get mailed a paper copy
or an electronic one via e-mail.  The issue is of what is the best way to
disseminate timely information about current events, contest, district
pilots, engine information, trimming, construction, latest trends, judging,
vendors, world trends (FAI), etc., to the current NSRCA members and
especially to the new pattern pilots and hopefully future NSRCA members.
For instance, the AMA publication is very nice but you get to read about an
event approximately 5 or 6 months after it has taken place - although it has
a nice paper and format like a real magazine <G>.

The more people we can reach and get interested the better it will be for
all of us in the pattern community.  Just having a website has been a great
improvement.  Sporadically I get questions at the local fields "how do I
find out more about the pattern or where could I get a pattern plane?"  It
is so much easier and more effective to refer someone to a website for
majority of the well presented info.  I do not mind to answer the questions
of the potential new comers but they get more by reading the website, and
for those that do not have access I do carry a copy of a K-Factor
(especially for names and phone numbers of vendors).  Let's not be selfish
of what is better for an individual, let's take a look of what is the
ultimate goal here for the entire pattern community, its future, and how to
attract new pilots.  An electronic format (which can be printed by the way)
can be instantaneously distributed to many more folks here and other
countries.  Fixed number of hard copies or publishing every two or three
months is not the answer.

The goal for the pattern community is to have more people at the local
contests not less, and to improve our sport/hobby/interests (depending on
the point of view).  Also, a side benefit of having more people at the local
contest will be having more qualified judges - I am sure that this will be a
welcome thing to the CDs and other contestants so everyone will be anything
but the "big loser of course."

An electronic format is just a tool, and it is not going to go away, it will
only get bigger - now let's make sure that we all contribute to content of
our K-Factor in this new format.

Ok, this is long enough.

Wojtek
NSRCA 1856