Focus Test Flight

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 25 14:49:13 AKDT 2002

We (John Ferrell and I) went to a local field yesterday and flew the
Focus for the first time.  After some delays for scheduling, and a few
things that had to be corrected (my errors) which made for a few false
starts, it got off the ground with little fuss and feathers.
A few clicks of up elevator, and about 3 clicks of right aileron got it
going; after a few stall turns I decided that about 4 clicks of right
rudder were called for.
After that it was a snap.  (Come to think of it, I didn't do any snaps.)

Anyhow, due to an engine that was surging, we didn't do any daring
airman tricks, but tended to keep it in fairly close as a safety
precaution should the engine quit. (It never did.)
I did do some rolls, stall turns, loops, etc. and got in a couple of
landings.
It is surely a pussycat.  For the first time, I was able to "float" an
airplane in without flying it on the ground.  It just gave me *that*
much confidence.
Second landing was directly in front of the judges (oops--in front of
us) and was a definite no bounce 3 pointer.
I don't know who was grinning more:  John or me.
Anyhow, next is to fix the engine surging, then plumb the depths of what
it'll *really* do for me.
I'm extremely happy with the way the ARF assembled; very few glitches.
The entire airplane was very well thought out.  And, the thrust line as
designed by Dave Guerin seems spot on, at least for now.
If the above gives the impression of a happy camper--well, then the
impression is correct.
Just thought I'd share this little Triumph. (English motorcycle!<G>)

Bill Glaze

# discussion-request at nsrca.org