K-Factor vision of the future.

Thomas C. Weedon weedon at wwnet.net
Wed Sep 25 12:42:40 AKDT 2002

To All;
I've been talking to a potential publisher about doing our K-Factor. His
prices are in line with what we have been paying all along, and he is a
professional who has been doing this kind of work for years. One comment
that he made me stop and think. He said about the same thing that Brian told
me last year. If we cut our printing from 1000 volumes to 500 volumes per
issue, we will not save 50%. We might only save 20%. Set-up costs constitute
the majority of the printing costs. So publishing on-line will not be that
big of a savings unless we go completely on-line, and skip all printed
issues. Just another "fly in the ointment", as they say.

The biggest cost savings would be to cut our number of publications down
from 12 times per year to six or 8 times. That would result in a bigger
money savings, and also save us VP's a lot of work. Remember, volunteer help
is getting expensive and hard to find. Example, every one has known for many
months that we needed volunteers for our election this December. So far, we
won't need an election because we have only one set of candidates. Instead,
we will only need an inauguration.

Just some thoughts;

Tom Weedon, NSRCA D4 VP
AMA 2537, NSRCA 733