K-Factor vision of the future.

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Wed Sep 25 09:51:26 AKDT 2002

Eric, all,

These suggestions, and probably others, all warrant serious consideration.
This last contest two gentleman and I had a conversation about similiar
issues.  One guy is new, and wanted to join the NSRCA to support pattern.
One guy is an avid pattern flyer and builder, and had let his nsrca
membership expire, and there was me.  So, we had three different view
points.

Personally, K-factor or not, the fact that we have a sig representing our
sport to help lead/effect rule and schedule changes is worth my money.
Gentleman and friend #2 had taken a "consumer" standpoint, and was
disenchanted with the recognized "product" of the NSRCA, the K-factor.
Issues discussed were timeliness and content.  One gentleman had liked the
fact that he could look and find out the scores and names of guys throughout
all districts by looking at results, one gentleman did not like this, and
wanted to have more building articles and non-competition related topics.

After laying out our individual expectations of the nsrca and k-factor, we
agreed on several things.

NSRCA topics:
1.  We need the nsrca to lead our sport, because AMA is not directly vested
or interested in pattern as a sect of the hobby
2.  We need the nsrca to lead/support the US Nationals.
3.  We need the nsrca to help support our presence in the world-arena of the
sport.
4.  We need the nsrca to support rule and schedule changes.
5.  We are asking our officials to perform a lot of work - for free.

K-Factor topics:
1a.  We need the K-factor
1b.  We are asking for a HUGE publishing effort, and giving little reward to
the publisher (if any, as we did not know, but assumed it was very little
compared to the hassle).
2.  We (the three of us), were not willing to take on the effort of
publishing the K-factor, because of the high-work-load and serious time
committment.
3.  We each wanted different content.
4.  We each wanted it to be on time (even though we recognize the other
problems).
5.  Although we recognized other efforts of the nsrca, the "dues" and the
recognized "product" became directly compared:  for instance, you can get 12
issues of Sports Illustrated, or Playb_y, for less than $35 / year.  We
immediately recognized that this really isn't a fair comparison, but felt
that others may think in this direction.
6.  Purpose of K-factor is to share pattern topics, unique product
advertising, share with information with potential members (website
included).

***Our final item of agreement was that the real purpose of the nsrca and
highest benefit of joinging and supporting, is that it represents us (Joe
pattern flyer), and our interests, to the AMA.

So, I guess there are several types of members.
1.  ... cares only for the K-factor
2.  ... cares for K-factor and national/ama type of issues
3.  ... cares only for the national representation of "us" to the AMA
4.  ... doesn't care at all, and is waiting for their membership to expire
5.  ... potential members???

I contend that the purpose of the NSRCA dues should not alone be to support
the costs of the K-factor.  Or that a new emphasis on gaining higher numbers
of NSRCA membership, should not be based on needs to fullfil figher costs
and exptations of publishing the K-Factor - sort of becomes a bad circle of
"need more people to meet higher costs of K-factor, which is caused by more
people."????????

Web format is probably the "biggest-bang-for-the-buck," in terms of reaching
people.  A reduced mailing and reduced frequency of a "copy" of the web page
would also reduce "publishing/mailing" costs.

What would we do with the $$$ if we cut the cost the total cost of
publishing the K-factor in 1/2 (even considering some increased cost of an
expanded web site)?  I bet one thing is the the US Nationals registration
fee could be lowered?  ... use our imagination.

my 0.02 cents

Jim W.

"Jim"
James R. Woodward