Pattern Fun / scribe

Tony Stillman tony at radiosouthrc.com
Fri Sep 20 05:07:05 AKDT 2002

Dave:

It is a problem, that's for sure.  Usually, at least in local contests,
contestants generally judge the same class.  That is, FAI usually judges
Masters and vice versa.  Intermediate usually judges Advanced, and vice
versa.  This way, it is pretty easy to "learn" the pattern.  You will find
that you won't have to memorize it, especially if you get the pilot's caller
to call the manuevers out loud enough to hear it.  Sure, they will make a
mistake and call out the wrong manuever sometimes, but it is almost always
caught by at least one of the judges.

If I am in a situation like that (as a judge), I will write down a score for
the manuever along with a question mark.  At the end of the flight, I will
ask the other judge about the manuever, not to get his/her opinion of their
score, but to find out it what I suspected was correct.  This will almost
always solve the issue.  If it does not, I write "not Observed" and let the
computer people average the score from the other judge(s).

Not a perfect system by any means, but it is BETTER than missing parts of
manuevers all the time by looking down, IMHO.

As pilot/judges, we need to WORK on our judging practices, just like we work
on flying our manuever schedules.  We need to be able to do a good job at
BOTH before we head out to a contest.

Tony Stillman
Radio South, Inc.
3702 N. Pace Blvd.