RPM turned by YS-140L on Mezlik 16-12?

Amar Shan shan at smartt.com
Thu Sep 19 10:28:03 AKDT 2002

Hello all,

I am running a YS-140L with a Mezlik 16-12 in a Python which I have
recently re-introduced to the air.  The engine seems to run ok, but
feels very anemic in the air, which prompts me to wonder whether it’s
just a heavier, draggier plane than I’m used to (was flying an Olympian)
or whether the engine isn’t running quite right.

A few observations:

-         The engine is turning ~ 7800-8000 rpm on the ground.
-         With the regulator set flush, high end needle is only out
about ¾ of a turn?!?
-         Transition is decent; however, when throttling down from high
rpm to idle, the engine doesn’t seem to ever return to the same idle.

Is the engine producing its expected power?  If not, any suggestions as
to where to begin looking for problems?  Replace all the gaskets first?

Thanks in advance,

Amar