Outside the 9 dots - again

Troy Newman tanewman at qwest.net
Fri Sep 13 19:54:32 AKDT 2002

Big problem is the number of Qualified judges.....You know the with only one
judge doing a score on a specific maneuver it becomes more of a issue of
bias.....That's one thing I don't really like about the NATS we only had 3
judges per line and no dropped scores...no TBL....no nothing except straight
scores...I some cases There were radically different totals with the
judges.....I have heard banter that a separation of about 10% would be good
to have.....In masters and FAI that's about 50 points a good solid
flight....This would be a dream considering some of the discrepancies I saw
on some masters flyers tear sheets....The FAI scores were very good I think
my worst difference was like 30pts this is really good considering I was
scoring 530-560's average per judge...

At the Worlds correct me if I'm wrong they had the heavy weight judges (more
of them) doing center maneuvers...and less doing the turnarounds.....but in
all cases there were like 3+ judges doing each section right?

In this situation it works.......but I think locally its very
tough.....especially when we are struggling to get 2 good judges in the
chair....I don't like to use the same guys over and over again.......I can
say with certainty that this season I have not had the regular judge duty as
in the past. I have been to contests with more local club judges...(? they
are not as up on the maneuvers but put in a good solid days work and are
learning)...And also Since not too many FAI flyers I'm not in that you two
FAI guys judge all day long all weekend long.

It has been pretty nice....I have only judged a few rounds of
Sportsman---Advanced and Masters....And most of the Masters was that massive
day at the NATS.

In theory I think it will work very well...but I don't like the exposure to
just one judge per maneuver.....leaning to heavy on the quality of the
judge...and right now we still have a need to improve this quality...

Troy

Troy