What is CABOSIL ??

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Fri Sep 6 11:13:37 AKDT 2002

MessageMike,
Gray's answer is coming from an expert, I'd listen to what he says. The point I was trying to make and didn't make so well is that epoxy mixed with cabosil has virtually no structural strength as compared to glass cloth impregnated with epoxy or epoxy mixed with milled fiber. As such, it would probably be prone to stress cracks if you relied on it in a high stress and/or high-flex area.

I'd use microballoons for any filling task I intended to sand and paint. Cabosil does a much better job of thickening epoxy and turning it thixotropic (sp?) which means non-runny. It also tends to be a much lighter mix than microballoons but is very tuff to build.

If I were installing a firewall that had some gaps here and there where the edges butt up to the glass fuse, I'd use cabosil, especially since it's all internal. If I wanted to make a stab filet on the outside of the fuse that was going to be sanded and painted, I'd go with microballoons. Hope this provides a little more clarity.

Verne