Builders..

Rodney Tanner rtanner at bbbeurorscg.com.mx
Fri Sep 6 06:53:17 AKDT 2002

Builders are a wonderful and special breed of people. Especially for those
of us that do not have the time and skill to build a quality pattern plane.
The last two postings sum up my experience over the years. Regrettably I too
have had no response from Sam Turner about some wings I ordered and paid for
2 years ago. I hope this will eventually work itself out. I have nothing but
respect and admiration for Dennis Hunt at Zimpro. He built a beautifully
light Extra for me last year and is currently finishing a Viper 2M.
Builders are craftsmen, not suppliers and like craftsmen all over the world
they are in very short supply and US based builders are recognized to be
about the best in the world. They are dedicated people and deliver a superb
product at a very reasonable price, considering the time required to build a
quality pattern plane.
In Mexico we have good builders like Ramon Pingarrón and Ulysses D. But they
would freely admit they have a way to go yet to produce a truly world class
pattern plane.
In the UK I believe there is only one building shop, ProBuilt and you need
to reserve them for a project a year or more in advance. Elsewhere in the
world good pro builders are very thin on the ground.
A lot of these guys will be retiring soon. So we had better make the most of
it while they are still around and hope that there will more pro builders
coming along to join Piedmont, Executive Airframes, PAC, DH, RCME and Aero
Design and others in the kit business, who are also a wonderful breed of
people!
I might as well throw in Central Hobbies and Radio South, because we would
be in a sorry state without them too!!

Rodney
NSRCA #2906