More on 40/60/90 Pattern

mrstev0922 at aol.com mrstev0922 at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 04:00:04 AKDT 2002

Jean,...

In your post, you mentioned building a plane for your Saito 72.  I just
wanted to offer you my experiences with this very same engine.

<<     I'd like to build a nice plane for my Saito72. (I don't want to
    get a .91 engine, ...

      I'll take the typhoon 2000 plans, reduce them to 77% (60.5",
    694sq.in.) ,... >>

This past year I flew a modified Tower 40 Kaos powered by the Saito 72 in
Intermediate category.  I built the plane as light as possible with
Retracts!!  Even with retracts my plane only weighed 5 1/2 pounds.  I didn't
use any lite ply in the plane at all.  I made a balsa/fiberglass laminate for
fuselage doublers and formers.  I also replaced all the kit wood with light
weight contest grade balsa.

Anyway,... with wing span of 56 inches and a wing area of around 545 squares
I thought the plane had all the power in the world.  However those who
watched it fly and judged me at contest thought the plane was still
underpowered and struggled in the vertical.  Don't get me wrong,... the plane
would go vertical forever, but to do a full roll in a stall turn or any
vertical manuver and still have power to "cap off the top" was asking a bit
much.

My gut reaction to the plane you proposed for your Saito 72 is its too big
for that engine if you are going to compete competitvely with it, especially
in Advanced!!  For what it worth, that's just my opinoin.  A lightly built
Tracer (five pounds or less) would be awesome with this engine as the
airframe is a bit smaller and you'd have gobs of extra power for the top of
tall vertical manuvers.

Sincerely,
Steve Teerlinck
Monson, Massachusetts