Fixed gear vs. retracts

Dave Smith dfs at navnet.net
Thu Sep 5 05:46:16 AKDT 2002

Several years ago,a very well known pattern flier and U.S.FAI team
member,experimented with gear doors on a pattern plane He stated that he
could detect no difference in flying with the doors,versus without them.
He also had a theory about this,but I don't want to rely on just memory to
state it here.
Also bear in mind that the design of  today's planes may have a bearing on
performance with or without doors,as they are quite a bit different from the
planes of 10 or more years ago..
It will be interesting to hear results of any testing.
Dave