K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

GeorgeF. av8tor at flash.net
Thu Oct 31 16:38:50 AKST 2002

At 07:24 PM 10/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I really can't believe cost is a major factor.
>
>I was talking to a local flier who attended the Joe Nall fly-in this
>spring and he said there were over 500, yes 5 0 0, registered fliers.
>Most had 2 or 3 planes, with an average cost pushing $3000 each. Add to
>this mix the great number of turbine jets flying now, where the engine
>alone is over $2500. The minimal cost of a turbine jet, RTF, is in excess
>of $5000. We can build 2 top of the line pattern ships for that, and
>still have enough left to take our wives out to a very nice dinner, or
>two!
>
>Why are thes pilots, by the thousands, choosing very big scale ships that
>are generally flown around in race course fashion, over the challenges of
>flying precision aerobatics????????????? it certainly IS NOT  the
>cost!!!!!!!!!
>
>Terry T

Terry;
Are you saying that the survey was wrong?  Cost was the second highest
reason according to the survey 249 non-pattern and/or x-pattern fliers.

When the #1 reason was "No local interest/support" I have to wonder why
there is "No local interest/support".  To get that answer I look at the #2
reason and see that if the costs are high then there would be no local
interest.

Hey, I didn't make up the numbers.

George

# discussion-request at nsrca.org