KFactor Pattern an Invisible Group

Rodney Tanner rtanner at bbbeurorscg.com.mx
Thu Oct 31 12:38:18 AKST 2002

. . .  as I was saying before I pressed "send" by mistake. . .

I e-mailed Maureen D. and she confirmed that July was the last KF to be sent
out prior to the Oct issue that was mailed last week.

Ref. The postings over the last few days and the survey and comments
currently running over on www.rcuniverse.com start to converge, in my mind,
around three key motivations for Pattern: Passion, Learning and Improving
our abilities. That IMHO is what the KF is all about and any interruption is
a bad thing.
What happened at the Nats? What´s happening around the Districts? More
important, the building tips. Without the KF, the only Pattern information,
to feed the passion and the learning, will be Dean Pappas in Flying Models.

Ref. Pattern as the Best Kept Secret, Invisible Group (survey findings etc.
). I came back to the hobby six years ago. Bought a trainer and joined a
club here in Mexico City and leaned the basics, bought a Sig 4 Star and
started to dabble in aerobatics. Guys showed up with Helicopters: Did´nt
interest me. Guys showed up with Pylon Racers: Did´nt interest me.  Guys
showed up with Turbines and Ducted Fans : Did´nt interest me. Entered a few
Fun Flys: fun, but nothing special. Then a guy shows up with an LA-1, Hanno
Special. Saw it fly and I was hooked immediately. That was five years ago.
Bought a used Boxer-YS 120, got hooked some more. Joined the NSRCA, got
hooked some more. Went to Pensacola for the World Champs in 1999, got hooked
some more. Read the KF, read this forum, e-mail some guys with questions,
talk on the phone to the guys that have the knowledge, pass the knowledge
on. My flying has improved immeasurably but still has a long way to go. I
spend more than I should, but it´s worth every cent. Gotta watch the burn
out though, must´nt get toooooo obsessive :-)

Every new plane (4 so far) is lighter, straighter, better built and better
maintained. A bit more knowledge applied since the last one.

I changed clubs, two years back, 50 odd members, all aerobatics and a few
pylon racers. I went out with my brand new Viper- 9.5lbs - Webra 145, last
Sunday, the reactions from members were all positive; cost important but not
unreasonable, if planned for. A friend shows up with his Finesse, another
with his Summit, another with his Pursuit. We talk Pattern stuff. Some
others come up and talk about their back to Pattern projects. We talk about
the Pattern contest planned for March, the first Pattern Contest in Mexico
for over ten years. We talk about going to a contest in Texas next summer .
. .

I agree with Troy´s note from last week: "The future for pattern is so
bright my eyes hurt"
Or, a good quote from Quique Somenzini: "Pattern in the Formula One of
aerobatics, nothing else comes close"

Rodney Tanner
NSRCA 2906