K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

gene.maurice at attbi.com gene.maurice at attbi.com
Thu Oct 31 12:31:01 AKST 2002

Gray,

No, actually what you say is absolutely true. There are
those who are willing to compete and those that are not.
Often, those who won’t / don’t / can’t compete are going
to denigrate, disparage, and scorn those that do. They
cannot understand nor are they so incline to commit to
the discipline it takes to compete, regardless of the
activity.

There is a lot of arrogance and snobbery associated with
pattern simply because we do something that takes
dedication and determination. I am sure there are many
occasions where the labels are well deserved and an
individual has done the pattern community as a whole a
disservice by presenting himself as an elitist.

We, here in the North Dallas area, are very fortunate
that we have been able to attract at least a couple of
newbies every year. Like you, I try not to inflict my
addictions on anyone. BUT……if anyone even hints at an
interest in the plane, the flying style, etc. I try to
milk it for all it’s worth.

--
Gene Maurice
gene.maurice at attbi.com
NSRCA 877
AMA 3408
> Jim
>
> The stuff describing your patent club reasons for not flying pattern are
> nearly identical to what I hear in the Dallas area.  Club members have
> standard answers and most of them no matter what you say will ever change
> their mind. I reckon it to a discussion about religion, people will talk,
> complain etc but rarely if EVER change religions because of something they
> were told. I too put up with "bull" surrounding the fact that I fly
> pattern at a "stick" club. Once in a while if give them grief back, and
> hence the saying "pattern stuck up attitude". I should keep my mouth shut.
> I am also my club president so at our meetings it is open season on
> "pattern" simply because I fly it. I have heard some very rude remarks.
> So! My strategy is "Screw the old club farts". I concentrate on a fresh,
> un poisioned  person, like the guy who posted a "beginner" thread earlier
> this week, Keith Black.  Had he joined the club before meeting me and had
> listened to the crap flying behind me while I am flying, he may have never
> considered talking to me due to me being too stuck up. Instead, he met me
> first, asked incredible questions for a guy who had never flown pattern,
> and is well on his way to being a great pattern pilot! I make a point when
> I see a new face to introduce myself and let them know what pattern is,
> and that it is NOT what the old club farts will soon be spewing-as soon as
> my wheels are up.
> The fact that the survey mentions no local support I do believe is legit.
> Lance and I were the only pattern flyers for a long time(at the RRCC), but
> as we pick up a few guys here and there people see that it is interesting
> and in fact we are the largest group of guys doing the same thing in the
> club. The combat guys have 2-3 we now have 5-6 alot of time all working
> with each other just before a contest. This REALLY helps our image.
>
> I t is funny that as low of an opinion that I have for various types of
> flying, and the associated personalities behind such garbage
> planes/flying/attitudes
> I keep it to myself until just now...for the most part. BUT the old club
> farts have GOT to let me know WHATS WRONG WITH FLYING PATTERN. And the
> real funny thing is they have never flown pattern, never practiced
> pattern, never been to a pattern contest.
>
> Such is the burden we bear. Gene-are you gonna vomit?
>

> Gray Fowler
> Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering
# discussion-request at nsrca.org