bureaucratic organization!

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 09:49:11 AKST 2002

This thread really rings a bell for me.  It seems to me that I'm not
able to fly some of the other airplanes in my stable, because I need to
spend all my time practicing, then, during the season, I'm gone nearly
every other weekend to a contest.  (Barring some unforeseen disaster, or
course!)
A couple of years ago, I read in one of the K-Factor columns that the
columnist "spent at least 4 evenings a week at the minimum practicing"
(His terms, not mine) At a contest last April, one of the Masters people
told me that he practices *every* afternoon after work, and, because he
has his plane with him, he frequently flies before work also. (He works
on/near airports who will permit him to fly his models on site.)
Just the people at my local club who see me practice, remark on "how
much flying is needed."  Of course, I require a good deal more than most
folks!<G>
And, a flyer John Ferrell and I are/were tutoring for the Sportsman
Class commented after I had showed him an Intermediate sequence:  "You
mean THAT is the next class I have to fly after Sportsman!!??"  Same
subject; many different takes.
I do feel that Bob's questionnaire, if answered by former pattern
flyers, can have considerable value.
But, to ask the general hobbyist why he isn't in pattern, will elicit
answers that will be so wide ranging and diffuse as to be confusing and
not meaningful, IMHO.  (I can probably sit here and without leaving the
computer think of a dozen reasons I shouldn't be in pattern!<G>
 I can also name the only reason I *am* in pattern: I enjoy it!
Bill Glaze