Masters 2005 Options

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Oct 24 09:52:41 AKDT 2002

The NSRCA is a society and as such is charged with the promotion of RC Aerobatics.

The role of the NSRCA is not to pass legislation or make rules.

The process that has been developed for rules change proposals is via the AMA aerobatics contest board. This sequence was not even a pipe dream until the rules survey was handed out at the NATS in July.

This survey was the result of the 3 sequences that were presented in the rules survey.

I'm not knocking the survey....however many of us could not champion one of those sequences and there was no place on the survey for "none of the above" I feel that the survey presented 3 sequences that had similar looks but variable difficulty. The sequence that was chosen in the survey reinforced the need for us to complete our shot at it. The reason:

In my opinion the Sequence chosen in the Survey is too weak. I doesn't demand enough out of the pilot and rather places demands on the equipment and judging. too many new maneuvers to add judging load and the different looks present questions on how its to be flown. Just look at all the questions on the Discussion list at the time. This is making more work for the judging committee and the seminar teachers.

Ref "My biggest fear is that this will now turn into an AMA Contest Board lobbying battle."

Why is this your biggest fear?

your biggest fear or at least my biggest fear is that they will deny both proposals and keep the status quo!

That is the way the process works. Not all pattern competitors are NSRCA members. But they are all AMA members. In the past couple years the NSRCA has not done a good job of keep old members. Look at the membership numbers. Is it the dues increases? Is the frequency and quality of the KF that started to be a problem well before you took office? I think that it may be a combination of lots of things. Pattern is not dead! Look at the number of Sportsman flyers at the D6 champs last month 12 guys! Tremendous things have been accomplished over the last few years. Judging is at an all time high for quality, the number of kit manufactures is growing with Lance and Gray, and Kevin McCoy marketing Kirk Gray's new airplane. The ZN and PL kits have become very common. The work by Lee and folks at Piedmont with the Focus and the new Temptation.....nearly 60 competitors at this past years NATS in Masters class alone. The FG1 artistic Aerobatics stuff.

Man the future is so bright we gotta where shades!

But on the other hand we have some work cut out for us like the KF....This is the one tangible and monthly commodity that we have to offer the membership.

As for getting back to the Rules proposals:
The contest board gives the NSRCA suggested proposals a pass on the initial vote automatically....A private proposal has to go through the initial vote. The odds are stacked against this proposal from District 6....I was the person that wrote it up....I'm not the sole supporter.

As I stated the option was presented as a choice, not as a slam on the Survey results. I believe the survey results should carry the weight of the NSRCA but I also believe that the NSRCA is not the sole pulse and keeper of the pattern community. For this role the AMA, like it or not, is in charge and the AMA contest board plays a role. Its called checks and balances. I'm not always happy with the results, but I'm one of many.

Eric if you would recall I sent you the sequence in mid August for review and your thoughts. You said you were busy and would get back to me. I never heard anything so I assumed you would not help support it. Therefore we worked out some of the bugs and submitted it on our own AMA numbers.

This was not a subversive attack of the rules survey.... It was not a URP without any contact to the effected party by an unwanted agenda. That stuff has been done in the past with the contest board.

Rather it was presented in the regular rules cycle as an option to the pattern community and the Contest Board. As you have personally said last fall....."any AMA member can submit a proposal they don't need to affiliated with the designated SIG" this is not your exact words but I don't have the email any longer. My paraphrase...please forgive me.

Well all the AMA members that are supporting this D6 Masters proposal are NSRCA members, active pattern flyers, and save myself active Masters class competitors.

So contact your contest Board member and register your vote. I have no love loss if the sequence is defeated. The main objective is that the membership gets a sequence it is happy with. What ever your vote call, email, and hound your contest Board members to get the results you desire.

Troy