Structural Repair

David R. Gundling DGundling at compuserve.com
Mon Oct 14 14:50:20 AKDT 2002

Had a wierd one while flying Saturday. The wing on my Legacy Lite went from
slight dihedral to noticeable anhedral in flight. Was able to land the
plane OK. On checking I found out the wing had failed right at the center
of the two wing halves in the middle of the fuselage. Would have expected a
wing failure to occur just outboard of the center section fiberglassing.
The failure was almost like a knife cut at the wing joint. The fiberglass
and wood on either side of the break were pretty much OK. The fiberglass
was stuck to the wood and the wood was stuck to the cores (wood put on with
epoxy). Question, what is the best way to repair the wing. Put new
fiberglass and epoxy over the old or take the old fiberglass off and stick
the new glass to the wood. I am leary of this as I am liable to tear the
balsa wood off while trying to get the old fiberglass off. Will brace the
joint with carbon fiber this time. How far out should I run the new center
joint?

Any ideas on a better way of doing it appreciated.

Dave
# discussion-request at nsrca.org