Enigma Vs Evolis

Chad Northeast chadnortheast at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 9 20:04:31 AKDT 2002

Hi Tom

The fuselage of the Enigma is like an Evolis on steroids, the front end is
quite a bit larger/more bulky than the Evolis is.

Here are the differences that I have noted between the two models

Evolis has a 3" spinner - Enigma has a 3.25"
Canopy on the Engima is about 2" or so further forward than the Evolis
Enigma is much wider at the firewall, wing section, and also the tailpost is
wider
Height of both planes is roughly idential along the entire fuse length
Belly pan has some funky air outlet scoops molded into the back end
Cheek cowls are blended into the fuse more and are longer in length on the
Enigma
Fuselage of the Enigma is stiffer than my Evolis fuses are
Enigma wings have a smaller root chord (10mm) and have significantly less
forward sweep than the Evolis (tips 15mm further rearward than the Evolis
wings)
Ailerons are smaller in span (same chord)
Stab has about 1/2" removed from the chord across the entire span compared
to the Evolis, also the Enigma's elevator is about 1/4" less chord (same
span)
Rudder has about 1/2" less chord, supposedly the rudder on the Enigma is
supposed to be really powerful
TE of the surfaces on the Enigma are about twice as thick as the Evolis
(1/4" compared to 1/8")

I have not checked the locations of the wings-stabs between the two yet.

I still have not got a lot of flights (maybe 100 by now?) on my Evolis, and
there are things that I would like to try out to have a better understanding
of its responses.

Comparing the Evolis to the Vector is easy :)  For me the Evolis is like a
sports car and the Vector is like a big Dodge truck :)  Its controls are
very powerful, and require only a little deflection to get lots of inflight
movement, that took me a bit of getting used to.  Its not overly sensitive
just responsive, so you need to lower the throws, mainly on the ailerons
(6-7 degrees is plently for my taste, the Vector was like 12 degrees)  I
think this is the reason for the smaller ailerons and thicker TE's on the
Enigma.

The Evolis has huge rudder power, it will KE loop all day if you want.

It rolls very well and locks solidly onto the points.

It will snap very axially and fast if set up properly, it stops where you
let go another habit I am trying to break from flying the Vector, it always
over rotated, so now I commonly under rotate the Evolis :)

I dont like the way it spins, maybe its the setup or just me, but I cant get
those reveresed spins the way I would like them.  Possibly the wing change
on the Enigma will fix that.

It is very neutral, I have 1% up elevator mix both ways in KE, no roll mix,
and a slight down elevator mix at low throttle for downlines.  This is
basically straight out of the box with no changes, CG @ 32%-33%

It seems to handle the wind quite well, I have never felt that the airplane
would not handle a wind condition, 10 mph or 30 mph it doesnt seems to care
much (just bumpier on landing!).

It weighs 9.3-9.4 lbs, and I am running a YS 140DZ with either a 16.5x12W or
a 16x13, it has more, way more than enough power :)

I am very pleased with it so far, I dont feel that the airplane is in any
way hindering my flying.  It certainly is a major improvment in certain
areas (like snaps) over the Vector.  At the moment I cant think of anything
that I would change on it, I am pretty happy with the way it is.

If you have any other Q's just ask.

Chad