Tour of All Petite - virus warning!!!!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sat Oct 5 11:24:31 AKDT 2002

--On Saturday, October 05, 2002 3:12 PM -0400 The Hewson's <hewson at on.aibn.com> wrote:

> My Norton says it was the W32.Bugbear at mm virus.

OK

> ... The "Bugbear" came from this list ...

No, it didn't.

The virus is on someone else's computer.

The virus is a liar.

The virus says, "This e-mail is from discussion at nsrca.org."

But it is lying.

> I would like to help whomever is infected but I don't
> know how when I don't know who it is.

Exactly.  Accusing the list of delivering viruses doesn't
help because it isn't our server that is infected.

Steve Sterling labored might and main to figure out who
in the NSRCA had the klez virus.  He was able to narrow
it down to someone with a Sony Vaio out in the Pacific
time zone.

> Could someone please tell me how to detect who is
> infected with this virus? I know that the virus is
> "spoofing" the sender's name. I have read all of the
> info from Norton on these virus' and I am still
> uncertain how to detect the sender.

You have to learn how to read and decode e-mail
headers.  I can read them, but I don't understand
them.  Some matter, some don't.  You also have to
understand how IP numbers are assigned.  I've
seen a few of those buggers, but I don't understand
them.

Next time you get a klez or bugbear, you can
save the headers and start studying what they
mean.  Or you can just trash the message and
go fly.  :o)

					Marty
# discussion-request at nsrca.org