relax AMA Magazine Article - the paragraph

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Tue Oct 1 15:40:36 AKDT 2002

I wouldn't over psychoanalyze this topic.  Over the top comments and
actions are unavoidable in a population of people involved in competition.
 Most of us know this is for fun.  Most of us love the persuit of
perfection and the fellowship of friends with the same interests.  But by
its nature, the persuit of perfection and competition will drive us all,
at one time or another, to treat pattern like a sport and not a hobby --
to justify the thousands of hours spent researching, building, flying,
competing by thinking that it is important, or that it matters to anyone
but ourselves.  Most off color comments you have to let slip by because
they are not real.
   Unfortunately, some ego-centric personalities thrive in this kind of
endeavor, just like Randy Moss or Dennis Rodman.  Knowing more, having the
"best" stuff, flying better than the next guy makes them cocky.  The
percentage in pattern of these sort, in my experience, is far far less
than in other sports.  We help each other while competing.  This is rare
in other sports.  We share our building secrets and judge/give feedback to
each other to improve.
  When someone is out of line, call them on it.  The good guys are in the
majority.

--Lance