The Monster Dr. Jekyll

John Gausby humptybumpty at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 30 09:04:12 AKST 2002

Ihncheol....I would be interested how you aquired this one!

John Ferrell was correct. Carl Dodge and his dad designed and built this plane
during the mid 90's. I was able to preview the plans in 96 i believe. Carl was
one of my pattern flying buddies back then but he dropped out not long after
then.

That plane which we referred to as the Monster Dr. Jekyll (MDJ) was the idea
of Carl's and Chip Hyde. Carl talked to Chip on the phone very often during
the design and construction. Carl's dad is a master modeler and should be
credited with much of the work. Believe it or not....This one of a kind MDJ
debited Carl's bank account in excess of $10,000. It was a TREMENDOUS project!
About 2 years of work. Several hundred hours of LABOR! As you can see.....the
construction is very similar to a 30-40% TOC airplane. The radio installation
gave him a fit. It was the long servo extentions  giving range problems...so
he had some custom made i believe to cure the problem.Anyway.......

I never got to see the MDJ fly. Carl did get Steve Stricker to do the test
flights. I understand that Steve was very careful in testing this plane and
did many checks before the first takeoff. He said Steve used A LOT of runway
before lifting off.......This baby needs mucho room and plenty of airspeed.

I believe Carl is still living in Glen Allen , Va. which is very close to me.
I havn't spoken to him in years. Please e-mail me privately if you need to
contact him.     John Gausby

PS....I sent this to the list so others would know a little history about the
MDJ.
# discussion-request at nsrca.org