K.I.S.S. Hot Wire Accesory??

Paul Duffy paulduffy at comcast.net
Tue Nov 26 04:25:06 AKST 2002

I've used the sharpened tin can for cutting wheel wells also.  Just take
a can of the desired diameter, cut off the turned over lip, and the thin
tin is sharp enough to cut the foam.  Use a twisting motion as you push
the can down into the foam, with the wing sitting in the shuck.  I cut
the wheel wells out before skinning the wing, line the wheel wells with
1/64 ply, but I leave the foam in the wing and remove it after I am done
skinning the wing.  For the servos, I use a dremel tool with the routing
attachment to route a pocket for the plywood "donut" that goes beneath
the wing skin.  After skinning the wing, I cut away the balsa inside the
donut and then use the router to remove the foam from the servo pocket.
Both of these depend on having a template for the wing that marks the
location of the servo and wheel well so that you can find them after
skinning the wing.

For cutting cores, I bought a 25 volt/2 amp transformer at Radio Shack,
and used a normal light dimmer in series on the primary side of the
transformer.  My bow uses Sig nichrome wire, which you can buy at a
hobby store for a couple of bucks in 5 foot lengths.  I've read posts to
this list in the past saying the nichrome won't work, it stretches, etc.
etc., but I have had great results with this setup.  I get perfect wing
cores with straight, feathered trailing edges using this setup.