Weight

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 18 06:05:29 AKST 2002

Herding cats was only one dimension of the problems encountered. All of the
committee members were right, all of the ideas had merit but all could not
be endorsed because many were conflicting.

There were times when I felt things were falling apart because committee
members were withdrawing. As it turns out, that was the best thing they
could do with the circumstance at hand.

I gained a lot of respect for all who participated in the process, not just
those I found in agreement with my positions on issues. In the long run my
position never counted anyway. The role of the Chair is to conduct the
business, not direct it.

In the end, all submitted issues were placed before the membership. The
entire dues paying membership had an opportunity to vote on those issues.
The process was executed as intended. The Rules Committee accepted all but
one tiny change in the Intermediate Sequence. The apparent frustration of
the membership is unwarranted.

Eric choose to do things differently this last cycle. IF he made an error,
it was failing to get started earlier on the process.
I don't find that an error. The task tends to expand to whatever time is
allotted. He assumed the burden himself and in my opinion achieved the same
process in a more efficient manner. The question is more a matter of
establishing credibility. While the previous cycle was done by committee and
each step was public, the individual effort was swift & quiet. The result
was essentially the same.

The only thing I find troubling is that there was a set of sequences
developed in subcommittee that were not adopted. The only purpose they
served was to provide competition for the set that won approval. Since they
were developed by a competent and dedicated group I would like to point out
that they are available for future use on short notice. I really hate to see
that work wasted. Rather than a "winner" and a "loser" set I find it more
appealing to change the question to "who goes first". Even after the fact.

BTW, my dues are going out in today's mail. Its time to get them in!

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606