Weight is not the issue!

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Sun Nov 17 20:26:54 AKST 2002

I have another theory that I definitely am not proclaiming to be 100% correct, but it might be worth consideration.

The 80% who didn't vote are in pattern (and by being members of NSRCA they are even more dedicated pattern pilots than average) for a chance to challenge themselves.  They can set a very difficult goal that is attainable, and they realize this.  It is this that makes pattern worth their time and money.  In specific reference to the weight change poll, they either fly a plane that is under 11lbs, or have never gone to a contest where they can't fly because their plane is over the limit.  The other questions on the survey, like which pattern should be voted in, were seen by the members as a non-issue; whether they do a stall turn with 3/4 up and 3/4 down or a half Cuban with 2/2 does not matter, because both are difficult to perfect but possible to improve.  For these 80% the results of the survey do not matter.

The 20% who did vote feel they can help pattern or help themselves by changing/affecting the change in the rules.  They think dropping the weight limit will increase pattern popularity, bring in new pilots to socialize and compete with, and make pattern stronger.  Or, they think they are better at the half Cuban with 2/2 schedule so they vote for it (usually making up some BS about 'it looks better' or 'flows nicer.'  All patterns look nice and flow nice, and if they don't you aren't doing a good job flying it).

Again looking specifically at the results of the weight change poll, I suspect the minority voted that way because of one of two things: bring in more pilots to pattern, or save themselves some money/time on making their plane lighter.  I suspect the majority thought that raising the weight limit would do nothing but slow down and obscure (possibly with a new generation of airplanes that were a tad better than what we fly now, possibly with a flock of uncommitted yahoos playing by a new set of rules while he is stuck with equipment that used to be good) their very reason for flying pattern.

It has also been mentioned that many people did not care either way, and those who did voted - if they voted for the losing side then they had their chance, and if they voted for the winning side then they got what they wanted.  Game, set, match.  I am voicing my opinion (and kicking a dead but stinky carcass), instead of voting, because I am not an AMA member, and thus not allowed to vote (on rules that actually do affect me, because MAAC tends to just copy-pastes the AMA rules).

Adam Glatt