Weight is not the issue!

GeorgeF. av8tor at flash.net
Sun Nov 17 18:48:43 AKST 2002

At 07:49 PM 11/17/2002 -0600, you wrote:

>If the intrest is such that we only have 20% of those flying pattern who
>vote then how in the world are we going to get those outside of pattern to
>try it? As I said before it is up to those in pattern to use every means
>possible to maintain the intrest of those already flying pattern.
>
>An 80% vote on important issues would indicate to me that pattern is alive
>and well. First of all I believe that most of the people who did not vote
>failed to vote for reasons other than lack of intrest. What are they?
>Every one is trying to figure out why new people are not stepping up to
>try pattern when it looks to me we need to search out our internal
>problems and make an effort to solve them. If I dont care and you dont
>care then who does?
>
>Just searching for answers. Is anyone even interested?
>
>Buddy

Some of us got tired simply being "a voice in the wilderness".  I've
brought up these issues (regarding weights & engine sizes) in 1991 and no
one listened (however most of my 1991 Predictions did come true).

In the Spring of this year I again entered this discussion as well as the
discussion regarding the need to better market Pattern and the NSRCA.   I
was meet with nothing more than some very unkind comments.

I entered the world of R/C for one purpose and one purpose only, that was
to fly pattern.  No other aspect of the R/C sport interested me except for
pattern.   I did nothing but eat, drink, sleep, and fly pattern from 1989 -
1992.   From 1989 to 1992 I entered over 30 contests including the NATS
twice. Since 1992 until today I have flown a total of one pattern
contest.  Two other members my local club were just as addicted to pattern
as I was, flew as many contest, and quit pattern for the same
reasons.   I'm sure there were many others who have quit pattern and/or the
NSRCA for the same reasons.  Maybe we better take a look at history so we
don't repeat it.

We wonder why only 20% of the NSRCA membership voted.  I think thats pretty
good when you consider that only 10% to 20% of most R/C club members every
attend a club meeting.  I've belonged to 4 different R/C clubs and was
president of 2 over the years, a 20% turn out on voting day was considered
great.

We need to remember that although only 20% of the NSRCA members voted 100%
of the NSRCA members paid dues and its the dues paying members which keep
the NSRCA in business.   Regardless if an NSRCA member voted or not that
member still has a right to voice his opinion and his opinion just might be
a good one.

George

# discussion-request at nsrca.org