Weight

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 17 10:19:45 AKST 2002

Writing rules is a tough job. No matter what you do, you are assured of angering some one. I served as Committee chair for most of the previous cycle. It was an enlightening experience. I have long been a student of organizational behavior. It caused me to break out the stored textbooks for a little guidance. When you chair a function like that you come to appreciate any little success you can manage. It all comes hard.

It took us a matter of weeks just to settle how the recommendations would be scored. There were some that felt that if there were 51% in favor of change, we should recommend a change. There were others that felt this would create an unstable environment and that a 3/4 (75%) vote should be required for any change. I believe the compromise came out to be 60%. 2/3 majority was rejected because we just did not want to deal with fractions.  That little bit took weeks!

The best way to address a controversial rules change is to use it in an area where it can be fairly assessed, then talk up the favorable results while addressing the negative concerns. That will build a group of supporters that can help you to win your objective. It is a sales job and it has to be sold.

Eric has been harshly criticized for "betraying what we voted for" in agreeing to an eleventh hour compromise on the Intermediate schedule rather than risk the whole NSRCA sequence package being voted down. Whether we like it or not, that is the way politics work now, in the past and in the future. It is a fact of life in politics that you must kiss your share of frogs.

There are a fair number of the FAI advocates that are returning to Masters class because they percieve that the FAI sector is moving too fast and too far in the wrong direction. Perhaps we can observe their efforts and benefit from both their successes and failures.

If you are a good pilot and can acquire good equipment, find practice time and manage to compete in pattern you can win contests.

If you want to change rules you will have to be credible, be a salesman and a politician.

Both require a lot of advance work!

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283