Weight Limit

Thomas C. Weedon weedon at wwnet.net
Thu Nov 14 09:18:54 AKST 2002

Bill,
IMAC had a growth spurt a few years ago, due to a lot of factors that would
take too long to mention here, but the sport flyer who joined during the
excitement of a new venue like IMAC, soon discovered what Pattern flyers
have always known, and that is; Aerobatic Competition is Hard Work; Period!
After a few contests flying IMAC Basic, many of them just could not see
themselves investing the time and money to fly serious IMAC competition.
Therefore their membership has leveled out, maybe dropped a little, and they
find themselves having the same argument that the Pattern guys do, and that
is; "How do you get the local Sport Flyer to try IMAC (or Pattern for that
matter)"; and the answer is, you don't!  So don't worry, just keep flying
and those that are really interested will want to follow what you are doing.

I've developed a theory a few years back and that is, "Flying remote
controlled aircraft is not easy and can not be mastered by the majority of
the general public". I've spent some time talking to local club instructors,
and I always get the same answer, there are some people that have tried to
learn how to fly RC with a competent instructor and have given up, after a
year or more with little success. Further, I have worked with some sport
flyers that will never be able to do anything more than a simple loop of
roll (my opinion). Flying an RC plane in aerobatic competition takes much of
the same skills that an athlete has to have. Years ago, I was a serious
golfer. I got my game down to the mid 80's on a par 72 course. But no matter
how hard I tried, I never could break 80. I took some lessons from several
club pros, and the final decision was that I would never be that good of a
golfer. I just wasn't born with the skill capability. However, I was pleased
to know that shooting in the mid 80's put me above better that 90% of your
average duffers, but nothing short of a miracle would ever get my gave much
better. So the final answer is;

"A Man Has to Know His Limitations"