Weight Limit

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Mon Nov 11 17:35:00 AKST 2002

> BTW you mentioned being competitive with a $1500 plane.  If true why are
> the "top boys" flying planes were the radio/receiver/servos along cost
$1500?

What I said was one could be competitive by spending $1500 to $2000 and I
feel that this is the case. That's not to say that the "big boys", or even
the well financed guy at the local club, won't spend more. Obviously that
dollar figure doesn't assume you get a ready built plane from someone like
PLProd. BTW, I wasn't including the transmitter in that figure as most
people in the hobby have a TX they fly multiple planes with (even the sport
guys). You can get a name brand JR or Futaba radio with lots extras like
multi-model support, dual rates, exponential, programmable mixes, etc. for
$250.

As to the $1500 to $2000 figure consider the following: Top notch JR
digitals on all flight surfaces for around $400 to $500, Webra 1.45 or OS
1.40RX - $395.00 to $450, Hitec receiver for $60, competitive cutting edge
kit or ARC for $425 to $700 (in my case I'm building an Aries from
AeroSlave, but you can also go with others or even get an ARC Focus for
$595). Add another $300 or so for building supplies, landing gear, spinner,
linkages, etc.

That comes to right around $2000 on the high end and $1500 on the low end,
and the result in either case would be a very competitive plane.

The point of my message was that I can be on a competitive playing field in
Pattern in this dollar range, but in IMAC the price tag is more like $7000
and continually growing as pilots go from 33%, to 40%, to 50% planes. It
would be very discouraging to me to have to compete against someone that
drops this much money on am IMAC plane, but if someone drops $3000 or $4000
on a pattern plane I know it's probably just because they didn't want to
build :-)

Keith Black