Weight Limit problem long

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Mon Nov 11 17:27:45 AKST 2002

In a message dated 11/11/02 7:43:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, WHIP23 at aol.com
writes:

<< I agree with all of this, as far as it goes.  The rest of the story, as I
see
 it, is that the AVERAGE sport guy has several of these airplanes and comes
 the field and puts them all together and flies them all.  The reason, my
 opinion, is that "boring holes in the sky" with no discipline or purpose
 becomes boring so you need a new airplane for change/challenge.  On the
other
 side of this you often see Pattern guys or IMAC guys who have the same
 airplane for a season two seasons, several seasons.  Maybe the airplane has
 seen sever engines, has 1000 flights on it etc.  Then he sells it to a new
 guy moving up and is on to a different plane.  How often do you see a sport
 plane last long enough or entertain the owner long enough to need a new
 engine.  Which is more expensive, you do the math, I'm too lazy, but it's
not
 as one sided as it seems at first glance.

 Bob >>

How very true !  We had a member in our club who sold most of his stuff when
he decided to make the move to the left coast several years ago. Turned out
that he had
25 planes , all with their own radio , ready to fly . Also more engines and
radio equipment new in the box just sitting around waiting for use. Battery
chargers of all sorts and all kinds of support equipment. The math isn't that
hard .

The weight issue comes up on this list about twice a year with all manor of
reasons why we need to abolish it. Of course , then come the reasons why we
need to keep it. This time, as I recall , it came up from a rumor that the
FAI may increase the limit in their rules. That would be a sure-fire way to
get the limit raised. Our contest board
would see to raising the limit so that we stay in line with FAI .

Personally , I am opposed to raising the limit . Always have been and will
remain opposed to it . However , the peace and quiet of settling this
argument would be almost worth changing the rule .

Robert Gainey
# discussion-request at nsrca.org