rumor

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 16:22:48 AKST 2002

Wojtek:
One of the prime reasons in the similarity of these designs is because they must
be made to fit a series of restrictive rules.  Example: Q500--limits in wing
size, and in cu. in. (Some racing clubs restrict the engines to not only the
same displacement, but the same manufacturer.)  Pylon--leads to "one design"
airplanes.  In fact, until a couple of years ago, most of the Formula racers
were made by a builder near San Diego, at least for the guys who could afford to
have this individual build for them.  (Sadly, he passed away several years
ago.)   Gliders--lots of restrictive rules.
Relaxation of rules would tend toward further experimentation.  Then, probably,
the unique formula for the best "working" airframe would be settled on.
That means then, that once again it would be time for re-inspection and possible
modification of the rules.  Progress--or regression.  I really don't know.  I do
know that the fastest growing organization in model aerobatics is quite fast in
response to rules changes.
It pays to constantly re-inspect all aspects of what we're doing.

Bill Glaze

# discussion-request at nsrca.org