Weight Limit problem long

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Mon Nov 11 15:43:24 AKST 2002

In a message dated 11/11/02 11:48:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
av8tor at flash.net writes:

> .   What I see being flown by the average
> modeler (remember AVERAGE, not IMACC, not Giant Scaler, not Pattern, but
> average sport pilots) is flying 0.40 to 0.60 engines or 1.20 2
> strokes.  Average money a modeler puts into his plane is less than $1000.00
>
> (including radio).
>
> From what I see flying pattern most of the modelers who place in the top
> 3-4 stops in each class (not include sportsman) runs $500-$1500 for the
> radio, $500-$700 for engine/mount/pipe, and $1300 for kit, covering and
> hardware.  That works out to 3 times the cost of an average sport plane.

I agree with all of this, as far as it goes.  The rest of the story, as I see
it, is that the AVERAGE sport guy has several of these airplanes and comes to
the field and puts them all together and flies them all.  The reason, my
opinion, is that "boring holes in the sky" with no discipline or purpose
becomes boring so you need a new airplane for change/challenge.  On the other
side of this you often see Pattern guys or IMAC guys who have the same
airplane for a season two seasons, several seasons.  Maybe the airplane has
seen sever engines, has 1000 flights on it etc.  Then he sells it to a new
guy moving up and is on to a different plane.  How often do you see a sport
plane last long enough or entertain the owner long enough to need a new
engine.  Which is more expensive, you do the math, I'm too lazy, but it's not
as one sided as it seems at first glance.

Bob