Weight Limit

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Mon Nov 11 14:41:33 AKST 2002

Larry, as I said I haven't formed an opinion on this topic yet, but I'm reading with great interest the various points of view. I'm quite logical, therefore solid arguments backed up with facts are what sway me.

Your reply to "recruiting new members, growing pattern" almost seems to be an argument against a weight limit. As you point out IMAC is quite successful in drawing large numbers even though their planes are outrageous in both size and price. This suggests that price is not necessarily a limiting factor. However, assuming that price were really a limiting factor we should be able to reduce prices by not having to use such high tech materials to keep the weights down.

You also make a point that the weight limit has advanced designs and technology by forcing us to use the latest high tech materials and technology. This is probably true and I personally am a big fan of advances in new technology, yet with high tech materials comes higher costs. This seems opposed to the point that we should keep costs down because costs could be affecting local participation. Therefore I think your two points contradict each other.

For the record, I absolutely don't want to see the price of pattern planes skyrocket or see the planes increase in size. One thing that appeals to me about pattern over IMAC is that I can have a top notch plane that is competitive on any level for around $1500 to $2000 and I don't have to buy a trailer to haul a 40% bird. In IMAC they're continually building them bigger and bigger, and one has to follow suite to be competitive. With our size limitations at least we don't always have to play catch-up on size with our competitors. We do of course have to play catch-up on design but that's the nature of any competition where equipment is a major component.

I know that changes often have unintended consequences. The question is will lifting the weight limitation cause an explosion in price or simply provide more economical and technically appealing options as others have suggested. Some will point out that the lifting of the engine restrictions caused undesired consequences, this is true but I for one think the pattern ships today are far more appealing and the sequences are much more interesting than those flown with the smaller zippy .60 size planes. Personally I think if it weren't for these changes you'd see even less participation in pattern and more of a movement to IMAC.

Keith Black
Still listening and waiting to be convinced ;-)