Weight Limit problem long

Anthony Romano anthonyr105 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 06:17:35 AKST 2002

Hi Buddy,
Here is my view. Just finished a new plane around $2000. Now, being a
competitor, I build a new more complicated, larger, more expensive plane to
take advantage of the rule change and replace my now obsolete plane.
Ignoring issue of gas such as smell, which now means I can't store planes in
the house and the wife won't come to the field, struggle with the sound
rule, can't fly at local field, etc.
Now I am just a mediocre competitor and if I get a lot of time I fly my
pattern plane 200 times a year. Using your figures, maybe luck but I never
pay that much for fuel, I save $350 dollars. My new plane will be paid for
in around FIVE years on the savings. Add in the cost of new field supplies,
fire extinguisher, radio upgrade to run two elevator servos, farther drive
to field without noise limit, etc. Where is the savings?
If this is the direction of pattern I am not interested and don't see how
bigger more expensive planes will help anything. You guys are all killing me
with the cost issue. The average guy at my local club has three or four 1.20
size arfs with $1000 to $1200 dollars in each one. Look around on some of
the message boards and see the number of people that are flying and entering
giant scale. The number of people looking to spend $3000 and up on a bigger
planes is astounding.

Anthony