Weight Limit

ronlock ronlock at comcast.net
Sat Nov 9 08:01:35 AKST 2002

If we remove the weight limit, nothing dramatic happens in the short term.

The few pilots with ll lb and a few ounces birds will be relieved, and that's

nice.  Overall, there is little impact.

Over the longer term, our models will get larger. There is room in a 2 meter

box to stick in a lot more airplane than we currently have. And our designers

will do that, since bigger is better.

Fuselages will get taller and thicker. Wing area will grow to carry the extra,

to about how much more? 1,400, 1,600 squares? Since we don't

have engine rules, getting larger engines is just a matter of letting the

manufacturers catch up. Props and landing gear gets bigger. So do exhaust

systems, batteries, servos, etc. We probably get more scale appearance.

Every time we let models get bigger, they fly better, present to judges

better, and judges seem to score them better. So most of us will feel it's

necessary to go larger to stay competitive.

Larger in general, means more money and time to buy, build, maintain,

and transport.   Does the existing active pattern community want that?

Is it good for recruiting and pattern participation in the future?

Ron Lockhart