WAS - KFactor Now "Members"

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 2 09:59:46 AKST 2002

We all have threshold at which we evaluate if we want to continue to go along with price increases. That threshold varies with individual circumstances. As long as the cost is low we tend to renew without question. When the cost is significant we start thinking in terms of what are we getting for our money.

There are a lot of local flyers that do not participate because the relatively poor return on investment considering a $20+ entry.
That is why I choose not to play poker. It amounts to feeding the sharks.

If a member is not participating in contests at the local level it is hard for me to understand why they bother with the expense of NSRCA membership.

Return On Investment should be a consideration every time we solicit funds. That includes entry fees, judging seminars T-Shirts and K-Factors. Pattern flyers are not obligated to join our organization.

I don't know the number, but when our membership reaches a point where we can no longer claim to clearly represent the majority of the pattern flyers our status as the Pattern SIG is at risk with the AMA.

I have enjoyed the K-Factor along with every one else. I lack an appreciation for the outward appearance. Glitz & Gloss is what I transfer from my mailbox to the trash can every day with the advertisements from retailers. What I do appreciate is timeliness and content. It is important to have at least 10 point type so it can be read without a magnifying glass.

Traditional newsletters are in decline because of the competition from the internet. At some point in time our advertisers are going to realize that the K Factor is not the only way to reach the market.

Of course I am aware that my pessimism may be unwarranted.

For the record, I paid my dues this year and I plan on paying them for next year...

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606