New Focus Question

Lee Davis lee at piedmontmodels.com
Fri Nov 1 06:38:42 AKST 2002

I assume you're talking about weight with fuel on board because the weights
you list are over the legal limit.  Actually, the 12.5 plane, if its legal
at empty weight, sounds like it has enough fuel on board for a cross country
flight.

As you add weight you lose control response and throttle managment options.
The empty weight (prior to filling 20 oz tank - remember, these are fluid
oz) of my Focus is 10lb 7oz (there's not a shred of carbon fiber to be found
on it anywhere) and I can pretty much fly any speed I want in vertical
uplines from fast to slow and stately.  If one adds another pound (why?) the
plane will need to depend more on momentum so has to be flow at a faster
speed or risk losing control in the vertical.

Lee Davis
Piedmont Models
http://www.piedmontmodels.com/