Ailerons size

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP (Test Ops) James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Fri Dec 20 09:33:43 AKST 2002

Hi Claude,

I think that cutting off 3" each tip may be excessive.  For instance, I have
an Advantage that weighs (give or take), 10.5 lbs.  I had the wing cut down
from 78.5" to 75" or so - I think we took off 1.75" from each tip.  My
Advantage snaps great, and is not a "floater", like one I've seen fly with
the 78.5" wing.  When I looked at 1.75" on a measring stick, it does not
look like much.  But, a 75" versus a 78.5" wing is a huge difference, and
you can tell.  My Phase One, which stats of such can be seen at
http://www.pub.nxs.net/dehunt/phase1.htm, basically has a 74" wing, and
weights less than 10 lbs.  This plane as well as my Advantage, have ailerons
that extend to the tips.

What do you mean when you say, "you want it to snap better?"  What is it
doing?  On each of my planes planes, I flip 1 dual rate switch that combines
rates of rudder, elevator, aileron, and then perform the snap with the
sticks.  This is a poor-mans flight conditions, which sets up a state which
reduces the total rudder throw to 60% of what I use for a stall turn, about
70% of the elevator I normally fly with, and about 30% more aileron - Its
still a nice snap, but does not have so much rudder and elevator to "bury"
the plane.  With this, the planes does a nice 1.5 snaps and keeps on flying
afterward.  If I snap with the full rudder and elevator I fly with, the
plane does a viloent snap, "stops" forward momentum, and has a bigger
heading change.

I'm not an expert - just my opinion.  Maybe an FAI flyer can chime in.  If
you decrease that much wing area, you might have to fly at a faster pace for
other manuevers, and the Omen is not a large fuse type of plane.  I think
that cutting off 6" is extreme - you might not be happy with the result.
Jim W.