Involving the pattern community as a whole.

AWorrest at aol.com AWorrest at aol.com
Tue Dec 17 12:18:29 AKST 2002

George,

The SPA is not limited to senior.  There is a pre-senior category.  Locally
we have been using an even looser version of SPA.  No age categories.  Any
AMA legal aircraft that can safely do the maneuvers may be flown; SPA
aircraft gets a bonus. This has brought back pilots that quit pattern when
the turnaround schedule was implemented. We get new people that would be
frighten off by the turnaround schedule.

Precision pattern with its turn around maneuvers is more difficult than SPA
even if both used the same maneuvers.  Always being "on" adds a lot of
stress.  Also I have found that precision pattern requires a better (and more
expensive) aircraft.  My SPA aircraft is capable of doing the SPA Expert
maneuvers; but, it is not up to precision pattern Advanced schedule.

Allan