Involving the pattern community as a whole.

GeorgeF. av8tor at flash.net
Mon Dec 16 15:56:50 AKST 2002

At 06:22 PM 12/16/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi George.
>
>     I have a memory like an elephant (unfortunately) at times, I recall what
>happened with all major changes over the last 30 years and didn't initially
>join the NSRCA because of the politics. It was suggested raising the eng.
>displacement to 1.20's was to stimulate more competition between engine
>manufacturers thus lowering prices was something everyone welcomed. Didn't
>happen though did it. the change  to all turnaround and increasing size to
>2m also were major changes that hurt attendance to contests and membership
>in the NSRCA. I do see similar correlation's to the idea of combining IMAC
>and NSRCA.

When I was heavy into pattern in the '89-'92 I kept saying that the
increase was going to hurt in the long run.  I even had the D1 AVP agreeing
with me.  However no one would believe us.

>Regarding the ANNEX system -- I can the strong possibility of some in power
>to really take advantage of the ANNEX system just because they are tired of
>the group of maneuvers they are currently flying. If the ANNEX is going to
>come to fruition then the political body must also have a check and balance
>to keep stability in the pattern scene for those that are casual
>participants or NSRCA will lose those also. We need all the participants we
>have and wish for more. Talk to any CD that does not have a club pool of
>workers to pull from how hard it is to meet the manpower needs. Changes that
>would encourage the rank & file AMA member to come and participate is great
>in my book, but I have to be convinced that these changes being considered
>are honestly going to address that issue before I can accept it.

Personally I think the Annex system is going to decrease the stability of
the rules system and the choosing of pattern Sequences.  You're right I
feel there will be power grab to make sequence changes simply because
"those in power" don't like them.    I keep thinking that the NSRCA is a
SIG, the NSRCA is NOT the ruling body.  Now, the next question is should
the NSRCA be the ruling body?  Unless each and every pattern pilot is
forced to become a member of the NSRCA then the NSRCA should be be the
ruling body as that is the job of the AMA.  Of course the NSRCA is entitled
to have heavy input in the rules however since ALL pattern pilots belong to
the AMA then the AMA should have the final say.  Just my feelings, please
don't throw stones.....

>George.  --  Do you remember when local contests would have over 60
>contestants. Now we read in the "K"  that some are bragging about having a
>good turnout and having 20-25 attend. I think we should look hard at the
>history before moving closer to the cliff.

I remember the year I flew 13 contests plus NATS.  That year I had to drive
no more than 200 miles to any one of the 13 contests (not counting
NATS).  And many of the contest had 50+ fliers.  Yep those were the
days!  But then again I keep getting emails saying that pattern isn't
declining.....

George
My $0.02, you get what you pay for....

# discussion-request at nsrca.org