Li-ion & Nimh (long)

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Mon Dec 16 09:42:41 AKST 2002

The chargers Bern was selling and maybe still is, are designed to charge two
cells in series from your car's 12 volt system.  I believe what he bought
was rejects because the output voltages were not accurate.  This was fixed
by putting in a pot to adjust each one to exactly the proper output voltage
(8.4).  The industry calls these constant current/constant voltage chargers.
If you start charging a discharged battery the charger will limit the
current to some constant level until the pack reaches 8.4 volts.  It will
then limit the voltage to a constant level which results in the current
slowly dropping to zero.  His cells come from EG Chem, same as Powerflite.
I don't know what Duralite uses.
Regarding the Duralite charging problem.  Did anyone try to charge through
the output cable?  It didn't sound as though anyone had trouble getting the
charge out, just putting it in.  Just curious.