Crystals

george kennie geobet at gis.net
Thu Dec 12 16:20:17 AKST 2002

I'm sure there will be those who will dispute this, but in my club there
is a very talented electronic guru who is a designer of sophisticated
electronic componentry, which is how he makes his living. One night,
just to satisfy his own curiousity, he took one of his trusty Futaba
PPM  receivers and swapped between channel 11 and channel 59 which was
stuff he was flying at the time, and utilizing a spectrum analyzer was
unable to produce any variation in signal strength across the entire
band. The conclusion he drew was that the manufacturer just mass
produces these receivers en-masse and stuffs them with crystals
according to the system being packaged.These were probably 127- DF units
and relative to the hi-end stuff we fly, there may be a different
approach to our equipment. Tony would probably be able to elaborate
further.This is just info he thought worthy of sharing.
Georgie