Involving the pattern community as a whole.

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Dec 11 14:56:35 AKST 2002

In a message dated 12/11/2002 5:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com writes:

> > I guess the question is; should the AMA be representing
> > pattern community
> > interest or be a check and balances organization for the
> > competition rules
> > or maybe just an insurance agency.
>
> This is a question that needs serious thought.
>
> Larry Ott - AMA 9872
>           - NSRCA 3381

Larry,

We who believe in the Annex proposal, are interested in gaining quicker
resolution regarding pattern issues in general, and in particular, a measure
of control over the sequences to be flown. We think that the interests of all
US Pattern fliers are being served by the group closest to the action: that's
us, the NSRCA.

Some of the stuff I have read on this thread implies that we are not
necessarily looking out for all of the Pattern pilots in this country. That
is not true. We on the NSRCA Board all understand that all decisions made in
regard to our lobby, affect all who want to participate in this sport,  not
just the members.

Just like the National Pattern Competition which requires very little input
from the AMA per se, for management of the contest, we are in a better
position to recommend and, hopefully, implement sequence change when it is
wanted by the general membership. We are closer to the action than the AMA
Contest Board is, in general, (John Fuqua notwithstanding), and definitely
closer than the Executive Council of the AMA.

It should not be necessary to have to wait until AMA approves or disapproves
a sequence (or to make changes when necessary, for that matter). That's the
bottom line, I think.

Don't forget one very important aspect about the Annex and changes that don't
work so well-- it would be far simpler arrangement in the event we wanted or
needed to CHANGE BACK. The MA Precision Aerobatics columnist might have to
explain a few more things to the general readership of the Pattern Column but
that would be about the only draw back, if you can call it that

Matt Kebabjian