Improving the buracracy

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Tue Dec 10 10:52:01 AKST 2002

Dear Contest Board Members,

The recent discussion on the NSRCA discussion list is one sided and
reflects continued support of Ron Van Putte's proposal.  Ron's current
proposal came as a result of a survey effort used within the NSRCA to
determine the most valuable changes supported by the SIG.  Future proposals
may or may not come from Ron.

It's clear to us that the members of the precision aerobatics SIG are
interested in the advancement of pattern and are willing to manage and
administer activities to that aim.  Ron Van Putte's proposal to make
several rules changes, most notably the separation of the class sequences
into an annex that is written by the NSRCA, appears will be rejected partly
because of a difference of opinion regarding the value of the AMA contest
board in the process.

It is reasonable that the AMA president (Dave B) would support the AMA
contest board.  The removal of this body's involvement represents a
significant change that alters an established team...and there may be value
here that is unrecognized by the rank and file.  Regardless, much has been
shared with those on the NSRCA list supporting this change.  I've been an
observer/participant in rules discussions for several years and remember
most of the recent rules changes (urgent change of the intermediate
sequence, Masters interim sequence, and the current rules cycle).

I'm a believer in simplified buracracies, especially in volunteer
organizations.  Our SIG, the contest board, and the AMA all must add value
in what they contribute.  Some activities may add less value and could be
eliminated, others should be reinforced.  Continuous improvement, and
introspection, will keep our organization efficient.  This applies equally
to all facets of the AMA organization.

With regard to the sequences, I don't recall the contest board leading the
proposal, review with the NSRCA, and refinement of the sequences in use.
The proposal on the table is to move the control to the group that has the
interest, motivation and ability to execute this process.  Can you please
provide the flip side of this coin??  NSRCA members need to understand what
value the contest board brings to the process.  What are the reasons this
group should be part of the sequence approval process?

If improvements to our process can be made, we will stand a better chance
if all the decision makers work together.  Hopefully you see that my intent
is to find a solution.  I am an AMA member and active in several SIGs.  It
is all one.

--Lance Van Nostrand
District 6 AVP
----- Forwarded by Lance VanNostrand/249603/US/EKC on 12/10/2002 12:55 PM
-----

                      Ron Van Putte
                      <vanputte at nuc.net         To:      discussion at nsrca.org
                      >                         cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: Re: Annex rules proposals
                      discussion-reques
                      t at nsrca.org

                      12/10/2002 11:26
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      discussion

The bottom line in all the comments about 'lack of detail' is that the
AMA is unwilling to grant NSRCA the privilege of writing and publishing
maneuver descriptions and maneuver schedules (that IMAC already has)
without an approval process by the AMA R/C Aerobatics contest board
(IMAC doesn't).  We can submit a revised proposal with excrutiating
detail, but it will not pass unless the contest board has approval
authority.  I am not willing to do that.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org

# discussion-request at nsrca.org