Annex Proposal / editorial

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP (Test Ops) James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Mon Dec 9 07:05:21 AKST 2002

It sounds like "AMA" does not want to relinquish control of the "sacred-cow"
(pattern).  Its such a dam* shame that we even have to use them.  The only
reason anyone from the "modern" era, or the ARF era of the last years joins
AMA, is because when you want to join a club, they say, "you can't join
unless you have AMA insurrance."  Then, you have to decide, "do I want to
fly from a street or field, or do I want to fly from a runway?"  Then, you
need AMA to enter a contest.  No body says, "join AMA because they represent
our needs and look out for our best interest."  I haven't heard of one
situation where a club was about to loose a field, and the AMA interviened
an the cclub was saved.

I have not been around "since-the-beginning," so I'm sure I don't have the
same appreciation that someone was there, then, has for the AMA.  It is for
certain that many rc fliers do not join ama, and many do only because they
HAVE to, to belong to a club, or want to attend a contest.

The conference room at the AMA is totally over-the-top.  Anyone who had the
"judging" class there can attest to that. There were tall-back leather
chairs and microphones at each position.  I've been to a number of business
(that are profit driven), that have no where near that type of facility.

Set me straight, but I just don't see the benefit we get from them anymore.
However, they are now catering to the "small field flyer" with a new column.
I don't think someone who buys a small plane they fly in the drive way is
going to join the AMA either.

The editorial column states (paraphrasing), that they do not see the "arf"
assemblers as "modelers", and that the "arf" people don't have the same
concerns, and that they can't envision any serious issues for the "arf"
people.  Well, the people who buy ARFs, are usually at the club field flying
AEROBATICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Just this weekend, there
were all sorts of "ARFs" flying AEROBATICS, and in my humble opinion, they
are served well by an aerobatic column.  Plus, sometimes, they will scare
the sh*t out of you with an over the pits flyby with a manuever goes bad.
It would seem that a larger percentage of "risk" or "litigation" would come
from this type of flying, and that an effort to better train them would be
good to reduce insurance risks, versus turn a blind eye.

Ranting,
Jim