Elevator control: Pull-pull vs push rod

ronlock ronlock at comcast.net
Sat Dec 7 11:36:23 AKST 2002

I use pull-pull with vinyl coated kevlar cord it for rudder,
and have never had a failure. But somehow, I can't bring
myself to trust pull-pull linkage for an elevator.

I don't like bellcrank systems- I prefer to avoid the weight
and additional linkage points.

Bushed at the rear push rods work OK, some setups require
a bushing or vibration dampener in the center.

Another possibility Ive used with good success a few times -
Sullivan  Precision Rod.   It's a golden rod type system but
the inner rod is carbon fiber reinforced.   It comes in
2-56 and 4-40 sizes.   Using the 4-40 size for pattern birds,
I set up one outer/inner pushrod sytem from the servo to a
point about midway between servo at stab.   Then transition
to two outer/inner pushrods, one to each stab half.   This set up
requires mounting braces every 12 inches or so.   Where
you put the one rod to two transition isn't critical, other than
placing it where you can reach it to work on.   Getting the
mounting braces into ther rear of a fuse shell may be a
difficult reach.    Once installed, it never vibrates or needs
maintenance.

Later
Ron Lockhart